Pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) is a secure and effective daily pill that may help reduce your danger of HIV illness. PrEP is more able to stopping HIV invest the it each day
To get going on PrEP, speak to your regular physician or nurse, or search well for A health that is sexual Clinic. There are also other clinics that offer PrEP by calling 311 or visiting the NYC wellness Map.
Is PrEP right for me personally?
To learn if PrEP suits you, first get tested for HIV. PrEP is for HIV-negative individuals that are willing to simply just take a regular pill.
You should think about PrEP that is taking if:
- Don’t always utilize condoms during intercourse
- Recently had a intimately transmitted infection (sti)
- Do have more than one partner that is sexual
- Have a partner who may have intercourse along with other lovers
- Have partner who may have HIV and a detectable or unknown load that is viral
- Are making an effort to conceive having a partner who may have HIV
- Have partner whom does not want to obtain an HIV test
- Have intercourse for the money, medications or even an accepted spot to remain
- Inject drugs or have a partner whom injects medications
How can PrEP stop HIV?
The medicines in PrEP stop the virus from spreading throughout your body, preventing an HIV infection if you are exposed to HIV. PrEP just works so you need to take PrEP every day if you have enough medicine in your body.
Truvada® — the medication that is only authorized as PrEP — is a mixture of emtricitabine (Emtriva®) and tenofovir (Viread®). They are exactly the same medicines that are safe lots of people with HIV used to remain healthy.
Is PrEP safe? Do you know the unwanted effects?
PrEP is safe. Truvada®, has been utilized to take care of people who have HIV since 2004.
Many people on PrEP usually do not report any negative effects. For people who do, probably the most side that is common are sickness, upset belly, tiredness and headaches. These signs frequently have better or go away in the very first thirty days of using PrEP. Rare negative effects consist of renal or bone tissue dilemmas. The doctor or nursing assistant makes it possible to manage any negative effects.
How good does PrEP work?
PrEP decreases the possibility of getting HIV through intercourse by over 90% for folks who just take the capsule at the very least four times per week. Your HIV danger is significantly reduced invest the PrEP each and every day.
Since PrEP ended up being introduced in 2012, it offers assisted reduce brand brand new HIV infections across nyc.
If We just take PrEP, do I still need to make use of condoms?
PrEP is A hiv that is effective selection for individuals who don’t use condoms whenever they have intercourse, but PrEP just protects you against HIV. Condoms prevent other STIs and unintended maternity.
How do you simply take PrEP?
With PrEP, you are taking a capsule as soon as a time, also on times you do not have sex or inject medications.
PrEP is prescribed by a nurse or doctor.
- Before starting PrEP: your medical professional or nursing assistant will test one to be sure that you lack HIV and that your kidneys and liver are healthier.
- You every three months for HIV and at least every six months for other STIs while you are on PrEP: Your doctor or nurse will test.
For more information on what to anticipate whenever PrEP that is taking the consumer’s Guide to PrEP (PDF) Espaсol.
Just how long does it simply simply take for PrEP be effective?
Studies declare that you will need to just just take PrEP that is daily for minimum:
- Seven days before PrEP provides maximum security when you’re the receptive or “bottom” partner during rectal intercourse.
- Twenty times before PrEP provides protection that is maximum you’re the receptive partner during genital intercourse, or whenever you inject medications.
It’s not yet understood exactly how many times you ought to simply just take PrEP you are the insertive or “top” partner during anal or vaginal sex before it can provide maximum protection when.
How to buy PrEP?
In nyc State, PrEP is covered by Medicaid and a lot of medical insurance plans.
If you don’t have insurance or have actually a high co-pay, you are qualified to receive a patient support system that can help pay money for PrEP. Medical clinics can additionally assist patients apply. It is possible to enlist into a low-cost insurance policy by calling 311.
Find out more about your re re Payment alternatives for PrEP (PDF).
Could I get PrEP if i will be an immigrant that is undocumented
Immigration status will not impact your capability to obtain PrEP. You are able to safely talk to staff at our Health that is sexual clinics how your immigration status may impact your choices for PrEP as well as other HIV prevention techniques.
If i’m included in my parents’ insurance coverage, will they be notified that i will be on PrEP?
No. Even though you are more youthful than 18, parental authorization isn’t needed to begin PrEP. Your PrEP prescription and visits that are related the center would be private.
You can take steps to stop an “Explanation of Benefits” form from being sent to your parents or policyholder if you are covered by your parents’ insurance. Your PrEP provider can really help you using this procedure.
exactly just How else may I remain HIV-negative?
- Find out about crisis PEP. If you should be maybe not taking PrEP and think you had been recently subjected to HIV, get straight away to the doctor or an urgent situation space and have for PEP, a crisis medicine that will prevent HIV. You’ll be able to phone the NYC PEP hotline at 844-3-PEPNYC (844-373-7692), to begin with on PEP straight away. The hotline can be acquired 24/7.
- Utilize condoms normally as you can. Discover the type and size of condom you prefer. Condoms are offered for free in every five boroughs. To get our where you could obtain a condom that is free call 311 or go to the NYC Health Map
- Utilize lube. Utilize water-based or silicone-based lubricant, specially during rectal intercourse.
- Get tested for HIV. An HIV test may be the way that is only understand if you or even a partner has HIV.
- Speak to your lovers about assessment. Pose a question to your intercourse lovers concerning the last time they had an HIV test. To be certain, get tested together.
- Help your lovers managing HIV. Encourage partners coping with HIV to obtain HIV care and simply simply take their medicines every time, so that they continue to be healthy and don’t pass HIV to other people.
- Get examined for any other STIs. STIs causes it to be more straightforward to get or spread HIV.
- Prevent alcohol and drugs when you’ve got intercourse. Drinking or getting high if you have sex causes it to be difficult to keep in mind to utilize condoms. For assistance to quit using, call 888-NYC-WELL (888-692-9355). Interpreters are offered for over 200 languages.
- Utilize clean syringes (PDF). In the event that you inject medications, avoid sharing syringes, cookers, cottons and medication solutions. Learn where you could get clean syringes in the town myasianbride org.
PrEP for females
PrEP is A hiv that is effective choice for cisgender and transgender females when taken daily.
Women that have actually genital intercourse should be specially careful to just just take PrEP every single day to keep sufficient medication in their genital muscle to avoid an HIV infection.
Ladies who have intercourse with females and whom could be subjected to HIV through sex or injecting medications can additionally reap the benefits of PrEP.
Will PrEP restrict my birth prevention?
No. Studies have shown that PrEP will not restrict hormone-based birth prevention. PrEP just stops HIV, and that means you nevertheless have to make use of birth prevention or condoms to avoid unintended pregnancy and other STIs.
Will PrEP affect my hormones therapy?
No. There’s no evidence that PrEP interacts with estrogens (or progestins) or impacts the degrees of hormones within you. Studies have unearthed that transgender women that simply just just take PrEP daily are protected from HIV.
Can I take PrEP while hoping to get expecting or nursing?
Yes. PrEP can protect women that are attempting to conceive a young child by having a partner that is hiv-positive. PrEP is safe for the mom and son or daughter both during and after maternity, and it has maybe maybe perhaps not been proven to impact fertility.
If you want to just just take PrEP while wanting to conceive, talk to your medical professional. You might have to consult a specialist for lots more guidance about making use of PrEP because of this.